From:
Erika Vinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 11:18:55 -0400
I am VERY fortunate to have an entire family of vets( Father and 4
children) that are in practice purely for the love of the work, not the
money.  Office visits are only $10.00, if that tells you anything.  When
my Jazz started to act peculiar, I took her in to see my vets.  I had been
thru 3 previous adrenals, and I do believe that you become atune and in
sync, if you pay attention.  I requested that a Tennessee Panel be run,
as well as a CBC.

My vets prefer to do a quick knock out with isoflurane to draw blood.  My
entire bill for the whole shooting match was only $150.00.  $100.00 for the
panel, $23.00 for the CBC, and 27.00 for the day in hospital and the gas.
It took 2 weeks to get the results of the panel back, and she did show
positive for adrenal.  The surgery was done, and a benign tumor the size
of an pencil eraser was found on her left gland.  No intrusion into the
vein, and easily removed.  The surgery bill was 175.00 including another
day and a half for hospital.

I don't think I could have done any better - cost or care - wise, unless I
was a vet, myself.

I am glad that the Tn.  panel is available.  IMO, i see no need to subject
a ferret to "exploratory" surgery in the case of "possible" adrenal.  If
there are blatant signs, then yes, by all means, do the surgery as soon as
possible.  But, if it is not a clear diagnosis, why cut???

Ferrets do seem to bounce back fast after a surgery, but we can't feel what
they feel, and who is to say that they are not in pain, or sore.

After my emergency gall bladder surgery, I felt pretty good pretty quick -
but there were some things that I just couldn't do right away because of
tenderness.  And that was a relatively small incision - compared to the
incision made for adrenal surgery in a ferret.

I thank the graces and muses for the advent of the Tennessee panel.  I
believe it to be a powerful diagnostic tool, and, should the situation
present itself again, I will request it be done.

There is nothing wrong with shopping cost at a vets.  If one seems high,
call another and ask availability and cost.  I am fortunate to have known
my vets for 30+ years.  I am a year older than the youngest son in
practice.  I have lived several different places in the US, and had several
different vets.  In my mind, there are no better than these.  Get to know
your vet, just as you get to know your own Dr. Do your own research and
ask questions.  Speak intelligently with him/her.  If your questions are
frowned upon, or not answered to your satisfaction - find another vet!
Would you except that from YOUR Dr?  Then don't except it from your vet,
either.

Thanks, and I'll climb down from my soapbox, now.

Erika
The FuzzButt Hut
Permanent home for unwanted and circumstance ferrets, dedicated in Loving
Memory of Thelma and Louise, Ilsa, Chippers, and Tazz.  Flights of Angels
sing thee to thy sleep.