From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 14:14:43 -0400
>Is it normal for ferrets to run a temperature of up to 105.8 after being
>vaccinated with the new Merial vaccine?  And is there any fever reducer
>that is safe to use with ferrets?

Dear Y:

While it is not normal for ferrets to run this type of fever - this
can happen, as you are injecting a virus (in this case the non-
disease-causing canarypox virus) it can and should stimulate a response.

In such cases, please do not use any over-the-counter fever reducers -
they may all be toxic, even in small doses.  If significant loss of
appetite is seen, I would suggest a return to the vet for professional
assistance.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM

[Unfortunately, deaths from OTCs is another sad and preventable thing we
hear too often.  Luckily, she recognized that there could be a risk and
thought to ask, which was the logical thing to do.  --Sukie]