From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 03:04:18 -0400
>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: MF, Rabies & the Law
>In this time of fear when any one of our fuzzies could be carted off like
>some kind of Orwellian society, the most important thing that we NEED to do
>is change the way we think... We as a community should let them know that
>if they continue giving up these fuzzies for animal "research" then we will
>lobby our local pet stores to find other more "humane" breeders.  Also,
>those of us who claim to have rescues and shelters, need to start RESCUING
>the ferrets that need it the most!  Namely the ferrets Marshall Farms kill
>just because their done breeding them.

Well, you have hit the nail on the head here both in logic and perception.
The Marshall campaign to be announced includes this action and others as a
resort dependent upon the outcome of the "talks".  The matter of retired
breeders is one of the more troubling for me personally because while we
fight for a relative few ferrets state to state we turn our heads away from
Marshall's mass extermination practices as Standard Operating Procedure.
Each and every ferret should matter, but somehow, large numbers dissipate
the impact and concern.  This is very peculiar.  Can anyone imagine a
smaller so-called "private" breeder killing off its breeders and no one
minds???  If the likes of Zen or Quality practiced this I don't think they'd
be allowed around too long.  So why is it ok for Marshall?  While this issue
and its remedies are complex because of the sheer numbers involved, there
are definitely solutions.  Kodo had a name, but thousand and thousands of
ferrets with no names are being regularly killed without any fanfare or
farewell.  FOR KODO AND ALL THE FERRETS WITH NO NAMES

best wishes,
until next time,