From:
"H. R. Buckley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 1995 19:49:09 -0400
To Marianne and other (Canadian) ferret owners:

The other day I posted a letter (snail mail) to Hagen about their starter
kits with cedar, and Dr. Bauck's views on the subject. The letter is long
and I won't force BIG to delete it but a gist follows.

I have read some of the correspondence to/from others so I did not try to
convince them on scientific grounds. I pointed out that studies that show
harm in rodent is cause for concern with ferrets. Since ferrets really
don't need absorbent bedding like gerbils etc., using wood shavings does
not provide any benefit, and not benefit is not worth any risk. I suggested
that most customers that buy their starter kits would eventually come to
learn what we already know. I asked them to consider the effect such knowledge
might have on future buying habits.

Now to the link with Marianne and the awful pet store. Dr. Bauck came into
possession of a flyer published by the Ottawa Ferret Association which states
in part that pet stores are frustrating because of the kind of things
Marianne reported. She wrote to the OFA complaining about it. It seems
that PIJAC (Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council) also received a copy
because they wrote to the OFA complaining. Dr. Bauck invited the OFA to
inform Hagen of pet stores that are mistre* ferrets so that Dr. Bauck
could contact them. We may not be able to convince Dr. Bauck that cedar is
bad, but if she is willing and able to improve the conditions of ferrets
in pet stores, then we should take her offer. It can't hurt to inform PIJAC
as well. Addresses phone and fax below, but if you don't have the time or
resources to contact them directly you can send me a short email. If you do
please include enough facts for Dr. Bauck or PIJAC to act on, and let me
know if you want to remain anonymous. I will forward anything I get to both
Dr. Bauck and PIJAC by fax.

Dr. Louise Bauck BSc, DVM, MVSc.      Louis McCann, B.Sc.
Director of Veterinary Services      Executive Director
Rolf C. Hagen Inc.                   PIJAC Canada
3225 Sartelon Street                 7400 boul. Taschereau,
Montreal, Que.                       bureau 105,
H4R 1E8                              Brossard, Quebec
                                     J4W 1M9
(514) 332 0914                       (514) 923 3235
(514) 335 0165    (fax)              (514) 923 2446    (fax)

Now what to we do about HSUS? (Heavy Sigh).

--
Richard, Margaret,
Smokey, Pixie, Boots and Ping (never seen a pet store)