From:
"Victoria \\Vikki\\" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 05:19:52 -0400
Hello Folks,

I haven't posted recently but I read everyday!  Pasha, Chewbacca, Yoshi
and Kodo now have two little sisters, Sassy and Dancer.  Sassy is a kissy
love and we have had her almost two months.  Dancer has only been with us
for two weeks.  This is her story and my problem.

The first of January I was in my favorite feed store to get hay.  They had
some new kits.  Three adorable sables and a tiny albino girl.  Every week I
would stop by and check in with the ferrets.  I saw several litters come
and go and the little albino was still there.  I would carry her around
each time I was in and she was nippy but not bad.  In between new litters
she always looked so despondent.  At one point I went in and they were
medicating her and told me she to go to the vet because she had developed
ulcers.  And her biting had escalated and some of the employees refused to
deal with her so she wasn't being socialized properly.

A couple of weeks ago I was in and Dancer was in the cage with only a small
box and no hammock or blankets.  They took everything away to punish her.
One of the girls came over and with tears in her eyes said she had seen
employees thumping her on the nose hard and slapping at her because she
bit them so hard.  I reached in to get her and she latched on to my finger
scrunched up her little nose and just bite me so hard.  Of course, I am
bleeding and we can't get this little girl off my finger.  I left the store
with Dancer (she had been there three months) just sure that we could rehab
her with lots of love and attention.  We have learned that if she starts to
really clamp down and we scream and tell her no most of the time she will
let go.  When she doesn't though it is bad.  My fingers are a mess and so
are my arms and the back of my hands.  This little girl attacks my arms, my
hands, my ankles and just goes for it!  I have never had any experience
with a ferret who will attack this way.  And when she does attack she
seems so angry.  She is very hand shy so I know that those employees were
thumping on her.  We are very gentle and careful when we approach her.  We
love on her a lot in spite of the fact that she bites us so much.  Have any
of you guys had any experiences with a ferret who attacks like this?  I
would be thankful for any feedback so we can help this little one heal and
become the good ferret we are all praying she will someday be.

Big, Thank you for putting a stop to what was going on regarding MF.  I was
appalled at what that was turning in to!

Warm Regards, Victoria
Have a Moment? Take a Peek! Ferrets, Guinea Pigs, Cats and Rabbits, Oh
My!!!<http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Farm/2610/>

"Compassion...can only attain its full breadth and depth if it embraces
all living creatures and does not limit itself to mankind." Dr. Albert
Schweitzer