From:
Diane Hoffmaster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 10:32:27 -0500
Hi all.  I am the proud owner of a 5 yr old male, Rocket.  I thought from
everything that I had heard, that we should be switching to adult food (he
currently eats Iams kitten) to reduce the stress on the kidneys.  Is this
not true?  My vet recomends leaving ferrets on kitten food their entire
lives unless the kidneys actually show signs of stress (she recomends
geriatric blood workups for all ferrets after 5 yrs old).  What is the
general consensus on this?  I am not real impress with my vet...she wont
vaccinate ferrets against rabies either so I am not sure I trust her
judgement.

Also, a hair loss question...(I had posted here a while ago regarding
this)...Rocket last winter got a bald spot on his rear, right above his
tail.  Vet took a scraping and it was negative for mites.  Said it didnt
look to her like adrenal hair loss.  Could be stress (we had jsut gotten
a puppy) or subcutaneaus infection.  Sent us home with a scrub and a few
months later, after baths, scrubs, suppliments, etc it cleared up.  Came
back same time this past winter but 6 months later still hasnt gone away.
Not getting bigger though.  No change in personality, eating or pooping
habits, etc.  He is not the most wildly active ferret but he chugs around
the house climbing onto chairs and loves to be held and loved.  In relation
to the above paragraph, can kidney stress cause hair loss?  I am hesitant
to put him under for exploratory surgery when he is totally healthy and
normal acting, just has a bald hiney!  (about 2 inches square in size).
The rest of his coat looks good, thick and normal in color.  I would love
any input you may have!

Thanks!

Diane Hoffmaster

A tip for Northers moving South:

If you hear a Southerner yell "Hey Ya'll, watch this!!" get out of the way,
it is likely to be the last thing he ever says!