From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:07:59 +0100
To Robert:

>What complete food were you feeding?  A complete ferret food?  Or a
>"complete" cat food?  As I said in my reply to Mark Orvad, the Ferrets

I was feeding a complete ferret food. What do you feed your ferrets?

>>...Mark's Company is absolutely great towards the ferret rescues, they do
>>their best to help, they don't expect cash up front before they'll deliver
>>a supply of food...

>Does that make the food a good food?  As I see it, Companion's Choice are
>a relatively new company who will do anything to get their new product to
>sell.  And what is better than getting the rescues on their side?  So of
>course they will roll over backwards for you.

Mark's an Australian and I doubt very much if any Aussie will roll over
backwards for anyone!  They're an Australian company and have probably been
producing a complete ferret food as long if not longer as the UK company
that first produced a complete ferret food.  The food produced by CC is
just as good as if not better than the UK food.

>>...I've started using Z-Megamore Plus for a treat and nail clipping,
>>most of them love it.  BTW it's brilliant for their coats...

>I tried it as well.  Some of my ferrets violently shook their heads as if I
>was trying to poison them and the oil ended up on me.  I also do not like
>the bottle, the oil dripped all over the place while I tried putting some
>onto their stomachs.  I think I stay with olive oil for clipping their
>nails.  But if you're broke all the time, how come you can afford that
>expensive oil?

It's no more expensive that using Ferretone.  I'm generally broke because I
like to give my ferrets the best I can afford, difficult when my partner is
a disabled pensioner and I only get a carers allowance.  Perhaps I'd have
more money if the richest animal welfare in the country decided to help
with the vets bills when they expect me to take ferrets off their hands!

From Sheila's second mail:

>>...I wish to state here and now that the only ferret food that is
>>endorsed by The National Ferret Welfare Society is "Ferrets Choice"...

The club that was purporting to be NFWS was pushing a ferret food that
isn't a patch on CC or probably any UK manufacturers ferret food.

>I have been to the NFWS web site and have seen that the NFWS recommends
>Ferrets Choice.  This is partly why I am hesitating to join.  I do not like
>the fact that the NFWS recommend only one food, especially a food that is
>disliked by many ferrets and ferret owners.  Who is the NFWS?  Who has the
>power to decide what the society recommends?  Doesn't the NFWS also include
>all members?  Have you asked them if it's okay with them that you recommend
>the food and no other food?  Or does the NFWS only recommend the food
>because they are sponsored by Companion's Choice?  What is this about?
>The welfare of ferrets and their well-being or how nice a company is?

The NFWS recommend Companion's Choice but we are not saying to ferret
owners do not feed another manufacturers complete ferret food.  Surely it's
not what the ferret owner likes but what the ferret likes... Of course,
Companion's Choice supply rosettes for the 2 shows that the NFWS put on a
year, it's called public relations or haven't you heard of that.  However,
if the food was crap the NFWS wouldn't recommend it.  BTW Companion's
Choice will discuss sponsorship of ferret shows with the organisers.

I seem to recall a UK company sending out free samples of their new ferret
food to various rescues to get reports on how the ferrets liked the new
product.

You've visited the NFWS web site you know who they are so why ask?

Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare.
Membership Secretary & Editor of The National Ferret Welfare Society.
Web Site: www.btinternet.com/~sheila/ferrets.htm  last update 13 June 1999
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge: Jill, Deanna Troy, Cameron, Carnath, Button,
Bill, Bobby, Jasper, Inga & Holly