Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 1998 16:30:45 -0400
RE:
>Also, any ideas on how to get him to stop?  We've tried bitter Apple,
>scruffing with a stern "NO", time outs...nothing seems to work (I do not
>believe in nose tapping).

I also do not believe in nose tapping.  Basically you have a baby or
"toddler" ferret.  We have just gone through raising two babies, one of
which started out as a nipper.  Things we found that worked well were:

Don't "reward" the bite - in other words, if they bit you so that you would
put them down  - hold them a while.  If they bit you to be picked up, DON'T
for a few minutes, you get the idea.

As a "punishment" try scruffing GENTLY (While supporting their little
bottoms so their spines don't stretch), shake GENTLY and "Hisssss" at them.
This is supposed to be what a momma ferret would do (some people go so far
as to scruff them with their own mouth!  I draw the line at that <G>).

Also if Bitter Apple doesn't work, try bitter lime or Tabasco sauce.

In one of my ferret books it suggested that you use Bitter Lime on your
hands to handle the ferret, but then at the end of play time or handling to
wash it completely off and feed them Ferretone from your hand - so they
learn that biting is no fun but that licking hands is good!

We did all  these things so I can't say which if any is the best to go with
but our little Daisy improved tremendously.  She still occasionally nips at
toes in socking feet, but I honestly believe she doesn't understand that
it's US in there!

Good Luck!
Karla