Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:11:06 -0700
Hi everyone, I have received a few responses about people wanting to
write to Marshalls.  Thank you for those responses.  People have also
written in about some other good ideas and thoughts.

Trust me, I have thought about the "consumer" thing.  I know they are the
ones that drive Marshalls to do what they do.  But, like someone else
mentioned, look at the cat and dog communities.  There are alot more of
those rescues, and they do the exact same thing about telling people NOT
to buy when they can adopt.  Yea, some people it does get thru to.  But
they have been doing this alot longer than us ferret people, and I hate
to sound so cruel, but, look at the mess.  Its soooooo out of control its
mindbogling.  Its so sad and heartbreaking.  I absolutely do NOT want to
see ferrets get into that same situation, and I can see it coming.

I've gotten a few replies from shelters who say they've gotten a few
items donated from Marshalls.  Thats, ummm, ugh... nice I guess.  But
what is it to them?  Nothing.  The shelters still have to take the
time to post on ebay, take a day to do fundraising, work to sell the
item...etc... Its just MORE work for them.  What Marshalls needs to do,
is to be pressured to become a contributing member just like the rest of
these companies... who dont even SELL ferrets.  They can still make a
donation in the form of money, and take it as a tax writeoff.  Why are
we all allowing them to get away with this??  Why are ferretstore.com
and ferretdepot.com donating to the shelters when they dont even sell
ferrets, but the biggest ferret mill of them all, is skating free and
racking up the millions???  And not doing a bloody thing to help at
all???  Dont you see that the ferret shelters/rescues were originally
started because of someone's love for ferrets and to help them?  And now
they need help??  C'mon guys, I really think we need to start writing and
boycotting and pressuring Marshalls to STEP UP!!!

I hear you about wanting a baby ferret.  But you know what?  There are NO
guarantees even with them....To be blunt and honest about it.  My first
adopted ferrets were the ages of 3 and 4.  I lost my 3 yo during a right
adrenal surgery (yes, one of the best vets in the area), and my 4 yo was
riddled with cancer throughout his precious little body.  Next time I
adopted I thought, I want younger.  I lost those 2 within about a year
and half of adopting them.  So next time, I adopted 3 ferrets at the ages
of 1, 2, and 2.  I lost one of my 2 yo's 6 months after adoption to bone
marrow cancer.  Then my 1 yo, Rayna, due to lymphoma, after having her
for 1 1/2 yrs.  And we all read about losses like these every day.  I
totally understand what you are saying, but please, please know, there
are no guarantees with a baby.  Especially a Marshalls baby.  Also, for
those of you who do want babies, please do check the shelters first, they
do get in young babies.  I know Ferretwise for example, just took in 2
only a few months old (I'm not exactly sure on their ages, but they are
young).

I dont know what the answers are, but I just know the problem is getting
worse.  More and more shelters are overflowing, or closing, or etc etc...
I'm just saying something needs to be done.  I would llllloooooooovvveee
to get to the point where it is a priviledge to own a ferret.  But to get
to that point I know we need to get rid of the mill breeders, and only
have responsible small breeders.  The ones who truly do it for the health
and longivity and true love of the ferrets.  The ones who are NOT in it
for the almighty dollar.  I agree, not buying Marshalls products and
shopping at the stores that dont sell ferrets is an excellent thing to
do.  And make it known to those companies that you support them 'cuz
they dont sell ferrets, and that they do give donations to shelters.
Us ferret owners giving time and donations and whatever you can do is a
great thing to do for your local shelter.  I think thats great.  But what
I'm seeing here, is that they need more than that.  They seem to all say
that they start out as small shelters, and now things are out of control,
they have 50+ ferrets, they cant pay their mortgage, cant take even a
small vacation, cant do this or that or that or etc...... They need help
and they need it now.  Something big needs to happen.  And I dont know
how to reach all of the potential "ferret consumers", than already the
way that the shelters are by doing info and educational days, and us
ferret owners who do our bit of teaching and educating whenever we can.
Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying all that is not good, of course its
great.  Its just not enough.

So please, if you have an idea - toss it out here.  I'm all up for
tossing ideas around and getting a plan in motion.  Maybe we can all work
together to get something great done.  Something to change the path that
the ferrets' future is heading in to right now, if we dont do anything.
We did it before with the treats, and I know we can do it again!

Andrea