From:
Mustang Charlie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 01:11:15 -0800
Erika Matulich wrote:
>However, ferrets in nature have a much shorter lifespan than our
>house ferrets; many succumb to various parasites in their natural
>diet.  In the domesticated ferret's case, "close to nature" could
>mean a shorter lifespan for your ferrets.

I would disagree here.  I have always fed my ferrets live mice.  Plain and
simple, my ferrets have all lived to 10+ years.  No exceptions.  I believe
that feeding a ferret, if it will eat it, a whole, preferably live, mouse
on a regular basis is the best thing one can do.  It strengthens the jaw
muscles, cleans the teeth, provides natural vitamins and minerals, sharpens
the mind of a ferret (If you feed live), and keeps the ferret trim by
exercises the fert while it is chasing its prey.

My ferrets are not aggressive (as some would believe if you feed live) and
do not smell any more than one would expect.

As for feeding times.  In the wild, a carnivore can go several days between
meals.  Food (prey) is not in front of him 24/7.  I know a number of vets
who recommend only feeding ferrets a set times in the day...to control
overweight ferrets...if they are kept caged with little ot no outside play
time, many ferrets will eat and eat and eat and sleep and sleep and....
which will fatten them up nicely!

Me?  Kibble is always present.  As is fresh water in a bowl..as well as a
bottle.

For our ferrets.

MC, The Rude One
(With Garret, Snorkle, and Tuzigoot.  In spirit, Bubba and Billy-Bob)