From:
Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 15:18:00 -0500
>Besides, wouldn't you be able to see a cataract?  I know Puffo sees stuff
>cause he can follow my hand around when I have treats, but Maybe he can't
>see too well.

Your Puffo is acting like my Cal did when he lost most of his eyesight.
Cal doesn't have cataracts, but they can go blind from other things.  I
figured it was just a genetic thing with Cal.  He can still see very close
and can see movement pretty well from about 1-2 feet, but aside from that,
he can't see much of anything.  Cal used to startle if you touched him on
the top of his head and I've seen him flinch more than once when a shadow
of a bridge passed over him as we were driving in the car.  When he hears
something odd, he stops dead and stares into space for long periods of
time, trying to locate the sound.  He'll stand for a while, move a few feet
towards the sound, stand a while, etc.  If your Puffo is losing his
eyesight, it's probably not going to make much difference to him.  I need
to be sure Cal knows I'm behind him before I scoop him up, otherwise he
gets scared and starts doing the "bite first, ask questions later" sort of
thing.  It sure hasn't slowed him down any!

--Barb--