From:
"Melissa A. Durfee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:13:51 -0800
>From:    Paula Webb <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: PETCO
>The conditions at this particular store are wonderful and the woman,
>Paulette, who takes care of the exotics is very knowledgeable and cares
>very well for the animals.  I have no complaint about the two PETCO's in
>my area.

In my opinion, the point is not whether or not individual stores treat
their animals well.  The point is that the stores are there to make a
profit by selling baby animals.  In the case of ferrets this is done by
getting them weaned and neutered at a very young age.  Weaning kits too
early causes them a great deal of stress, they also may not be able to eat
solid food.  It is also a scientific fact that neutering a ferret kit
earlier than 6-12 months of age causes a stunting of skeletal growth.

Is this not a tragedy?  How many ferrets are unlucky enough to remain at
the pet store beyond the "cuteness stage" of 7-12 weeks?  Why do ferret
products and pet store information pamphlets (when you can find them)
specify 3lbs.  as the heaviest weight for an adult male ferret when this is
usually only true for those unfortunate kits who were neutered before their
eyes were open?  It should not be accepted as normal.

Even the wonderful Petco's near your hometown are geared toward maximizing
profits.  Even Paulette must bow down to the bottom line.  If she were not
selling baby ferrets at a steady rate she would lose her job.

I agree with you that many ferret shelters are too quick to turn down
potential adopters but that is a separate issue.  In my opinion, purchasing
a kit from a quality hobby breeder who puts a lot of TLC into her/his
ferrets is a far better solution than supporting a conveyor-belt breeder
like Marshall Farms and a retail pet outlet like Petco.

Again, this is only my opinion.  I'd like to see all pet stores cease the
sale of ferrets and all other animals as well.  Profit and quality care do
not mix well (ask the hobby breeders who lose money most years).  The only
way to make the sale of animals profitable is to do it on a massive scale,
get them on the market when they are most valuable (i.e., "cute"), and to
cut as many corners as possible.

Yes, there are rare situations in which the animals are lucky enough to get
quality care, but these are the exceptions to the rule.  The problem is
systemic and in the end it is the animals themselves who pay the heaviest
price.

-mel
(with the ferrets:  Seymore, Kili, Brickbat, and Bumblebee)