From:
Ingrid Heckt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:53:34 -0700
Ok, I'll share one. Many years ago, I lived in a condo with four
wonderful fuzzies, all of whom have since gone to wait at the bridge.
One day, my DH and I decided to take Princess (a lovely DEW girl) out
for a walk in the landscaping. As ferrets often do, she decided to hug
the wall and sniff every little thing that was around the base of the
building. All was fine, until she found a spot where there was a gap
between the siding and the foundation, just big enough to stick her
head into. Of course, once she got her head in, she got scared and
struggled when she couldn't pull it back out. We were absolutely
terrified for her, and determined to ANYTHING up ot and including
tear the building down to get our baby out safely.

Fortunately, we were able to find a prybar and pull the siding away
enough to get her loose. We ran to the vet immediately (right across
the street), and he was able to reasure us that no lasting damage was
done. She was just a little bruised from struggling so much. That day
we learned that ferret proofing needs to be done in the outside
environment, as well as the inside of your house. It could have been
tragic, but we were lucky that time.