From:
Matthew D Stock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 1995 12:31:15 -0500
Dr. Williams said:
>         While I have no problems with gating to rec.pets, you will attract
> a lot of attention.  Will all of the people on this list be able to realize
> when they are being bated by someone who really doesn't care anything about
> ferrets....
>         I think I could, but I'm not sure everyone (all 600+) could, and we
> may waste a lot of bandwidth condemning people for posting recipes for fried
> ferrets, etc.  This form of organized aggression is not uncommon on the
> newgroups, and we've seen it here on the FML once of twice.  (Bill - I
> think this would require a lot of vigilance on your part to remove out any
> objectionable posts....)

I've been watching this thread for a while now, and this point seems to be
one of the primary arguments against doing anything with usenet (gateway,
new group, etc.).  What I'd like to do is put this into perspective.  Yes,
there *are* people who post flame-bait to the newsgroups?  Is it a rare
thing?  Overall, no.  Is it rare for rec.pets to get heavy flaming?  Yes, I
think so.  I just don't think it's as big of an issue as people make it
seem.

Another point I've seen made was about this list being a "cozy" place, were
people can talk about semi-personal things to a group of their friends.
Is it really that personal of a place?  It's relayed to ~750 each day.
Anyone at all can join.  The distinction between that and a usenet
newsgroup is only an order of magnitude in who you reach.

>         But my question is:  Is there any reason that people on the
> Internet in all of it's forms and fashions (including Compuserve, AOL,
> etc.) can't subscribe to the FML?  I know Dr. Weiss is coming in from AOL.
>
>         If it's accessible to everyone, why do we have to gate it out?  Why
> can't people just subscribe like the rest of us have....?

There isn't a technical difficulty, but really one of function.  The reason
usenet exists is because mailing lists became too cumbersome.  I'm NOT
saying that the FML should die.  I just think the newsgroup format is a
better one for broadband transmission of data.  Personally, I get about
40-60 email messages a day, due to the admin and consulting work I do.  I
like the "non-invasive" form of usenet.  It doesn't fill up my mailbox and
is easier to read.

Anyway, sorry to use your post Dr. Willimas, but I needed someone to quote. :-)
I didn't see much of a "pro-newsgroup" response around here, so I thought
I'd throw a few points in to try to clear up the waters.  :-)
  -Matt

ObFerret:  As I was pulling out my boots for winter this year, I heard a
bit of a rattle.  I picked the boot up, and a whole bunch of ferret kibble
rolled from thtoe to the heal!  Apparently, Opus (one of my ferrets) had
started to make the boot his little stash a few months back (when I still
let him into the closet).  At the time, I was WONDERING why he wanted to get
in there so badly.  :-)