From:
Claire Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 19:18:46 -0400
On May 26, 2005, at 4:00 AM, RiccoRobertAdaTinaArtie wrote:
>Perhaps the received wisdom that they want nothing else but to
>run-run-run run awayyyy is not true??

I wouldn't call wanting to run away 'received wisdom' -- but they do
want to explore!!!  Very different.

One time I had the ferrets out, and I was working at the computer, when
all of a sudden I realized it was quiet -- too quiet.  A door that was
never open was open, and the ferrets had gotten into the other side of
the house.  I listen carefully, a fouind one girl, who was exploring
under the attic floorboards.  Silence.  Reluctantly, I conclude that the
boys went out through the cat door.  Hours of panic and searching.  It's
getting dark.  Finally, I hear crunching -- Sam's back!  I go over and
scoope him up and tell him he's a good ferret, and he looks at me as if
to say 'hey, I'm eating here!  C'mon mom, let me down, this is important
business!  I'm hungry!' Renewed searching, calling.  It's close to
midnight.  But no Louie.  I put some food and water by the door, then
decide to improvise a ramp up to the cat door -- Louie's not as athletic
as Sam.  Finally I turn to go in ... and Louie comes happily erping along
up the walk to investigate my engineering.  "Hey ma!  This is great!  I
got to explore the woodpile and went through all the neighbor's yards and
there's a cat and I got to poop in the driveway and everything!  But now
I want my hammock".

Tired, happy boys.

I don't recommend the practice -- but it's quite a comfort to know that
they knew where home was.

--Claire