From:
"Lorraine M. Thompson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 1995 02:15:05 -0400
Hi,
        Does anyone know if ferrets can have allergies?  My family (which
includes a 2 year old furry female ferret and a year old macho male ferret)
moved from PA to Michigan in Jan of this year.  About 3 months ago I noticed
the female making an awful rasping noise in her throat.  She did not appear
to be suffering in anyway (I think the noise bothered me more than it did
her).  She continued to eat, play, and sleep as usual.  I took her to the
vet just to be sure. The vet said her lungs were clear and there were no
signs of any physical distress. She had a slightly elevated temperature so
the vet put her on antibiotics.  I went the full course but the noise
continued.  I ended up taking her to the vet AGAIN because the noise got
louder.  Again nothing--the vet said something about loose cartilage in the
throat area.  Anyone ever heard of this?

        Now, she appears to be fine.  Alert, bright eyed and a much darker
mask I must add.  Could it have been allergies?

Thanks for any info.