From:
Dale Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 09:55:32 EDT
I have the same cage and almost the same problem (my ferts PUSH each other
off the top).  I make a huge hammock out of a flannel picnic blanket ( a
large baby warming blanket will work too).  I cut it into a trapezoid shape
and cut slits in the corners (that forms the ties so that it can be tied to
the bars).  Then the short side of the blanket gets tied under the top ramp
and extends under the top level.  The long side gets tied against the back
of the cage.  Just remember to leave the blanket large enough to have some
slack in it and play with it till it fits right.  The trapezoid shape
allows it to fit around the top ramp.  You can get as fancy as you want
with it-- use seam sealant (sewing dept.) or sew the edges to avoid fraying
when you wash them.  I don't bother since I just throw them away when they
get dirty -- baby blankets are cheap.

As for cleaning the bottom of the cage-- my ferts push food and litter
into the sides.  I use the hose attachment on my vacuum cleaner to suck
everything up.  Soon I will be getting a new vacuum so the old one can be
used just for the cage since the bag fills up rather quickly.  I suppose
you could use one of those hand vacs that don't use bags.  It doesn't get
all the junk up all the time, but it is easier than taking the cage apart
to clean it all the time.

Happy Ferting
Traci
Chewie (why can't I keep the small humans shoes under the dresser Mom?)
Crash (why can't Chewie just stay under the dresser,  then I will be King of
The House)
Ivan--the human child (Where's my shoes?)