Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:31:43 -0700
Usually I lurk.  Sometimes I leave.  Today I feel the need to speak.

I have known Diane Campbell of Ferret Guardian Rescue Haven for 5 years.
I have served as an application screener, a foster home, a contact between
surrendering and adopting parties and an adopter with FGRH.  I will grant
that it is often difficult to reach Diane, but not because she doesn t
care.  She is just extremely busy taking care of a lot of ferrets.

Diane s first priority is keeping ferrets in their current home, if it
is a good one.  If the person is not spending enough time with them, has
a new baby or the ferret is a nipper, Diane will go out of her way to
educate and assist the owners to keep the ferret(s) where they are.  If
it is not possible to for the current owners to keep the ferret, Diane
will try to have them keep them until a suitable adopter can be found.
Whenever possible, she tries to have the current owner/potential adopter
work with each other directly.  One of the ways this is accomplished has
been in the creation of an *Adoptables* page on the local club website.

Diane asked me to work with people in my area of the state who contact her
about giving up ferrets.  I have taken many ferrets into my home on a
temporary basis.  I have known the joy of successful placements and the
thrill of hearing back from the adopters and feeling like I was a part of
something grand.

I have cared for several of the *special needs* ferrets surrendered to
Diane.  They often require extensive medical treatment, as they have not
received quality care in their lifetimes.  I have known the heartache of
holding a sick little guy on a long drive, knowing it was the last trip
to the vet, when the owners decided they didn t want to deal with them
anymore.

Diane does this on a regular basis.  Most of the ferrets Diane receives
are old and sick.  These ferrets are cared for 24/7 by Diane and will be
clean, loved and treated with TLC and the appropriate medical care until
they leave for homes where they can continue to receive the care they need
or for the Bridge.  This is not only physically and financially draining,
it is emotionally draining.

Diane WILL adopt out special needs ferrets to willing and qualified
applicants.  She will not break up bonded pairs and works very hard to
place them together.  Many times one is healthy and another ill.  How
many people are willing to take the ill ferret to get the healthy one?
Not many.  I do not see that Diane s application process is any more
stringent than that of any other quality shelter.

I have adopted from Diane.  Because of my work with her, and other
terrific people in North Carolina, I only take in special needs ferrets
now.  She broadened my horizons.  The cute kits are great, but there is
something special about the *little old men and ladies.* It is hard for
me to take care of my 8 when I have a sick one.  I now have 3 with
insulinoma, 1 with adrenal disease, 1 deaf, 1 amputee, 1 neurologically
impaired and 1 completely healthy love.  It takes 2 hours to completely
clean their room, cages and provide clean water and food bowls, as well
as bedding.

Diane cares for MANY more than that and is often up all night long.  There
are plenty of run times for the ferrets and they run in groups that are
compatible.  The cages are clean and the bowls are full.  I have learned
a lot from Diane about caring for groups instead of individuals.

You asked what I would do.  I would look at the list of permanent stays
and I would offer to support one of these little guys.  Or, I would send a
donation to one of the vets she uses.  Or, make an anonymous gift through
The Ferret Store.  Or buy hammocks or sleep sacks or wood pellets from
her.  She does this to help support the ferrets and the shelter.

Good luck with your new addition.  I can assure you that he was loved and
cared for if he came from FGRH.  And, he was not part of a collection.

renee :) & The Poop-in-the-Corner Gang