From:
"fur. chaos. weezilarchy." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 13:13:15 -0700
i haven't written a homily of any sort in a long time, and i've never
writen one about ferrets.  i'm also not a christian by any stretch, but i
was born into the unitarian universalist church, which, though having
wandered fairly far from its christian origins, still incorporates
christian practices and meeting-styles into itself (to a greater or lesser
degree, depending on the area).

so, if i was doing this, i'd say something to this effect:

(written off the top of my head, not edited, not ready for publication...)

All the animals on this earth, even the ones we routinely massacre in the
name of pest control, are an integral part of the interconnected web that
runs through this planet, and indeed, the universe.  Some stand out more
than others, and some are best left on a fairly distant thread of the web.
Of all the animals that we have domesticated to be human companions,
though, ferrets possibly are the one of the best suited to really make
people realize how important the relationship between human and non-human
animals really is.

When the universe came into being, I think a little extra time and effort
was put into the ferret.  They are not only amazing companion animals, but
they have an incomparable capacity to teach humans important life lessons.

~Laughter (or not taking life too seriously)
Ferrets have been described as "nature's perfect antidepressant", and I
feel that is one of their intended functions as companions.  An incident at
work can leave you fuming and angry all day, but coming home to a ferret
(or ten) can show the day's stresses and unpleasantries for the
insignificances that they really are.  It's hard to stay angry with
yourself and the world when you have one of the world's most adorable
creatures licking your face or poinging three feet into the air because
you've come home.  Getting out of bed is a lot easier when you know ferret
kisses will be part of the start to your day.  Ferrets are incredibly
gifted at teaching humans the value of play and laughter, and having
ferrets in your life is a great way to make sure play and laughter are
always a part of it.

~Compassion
Nothing gets you in the heart like seeing an ill or injured ferret still
making the best of life.  Caring for an elderly, ill, or injured ferret
is not a task for the weak of heart, but can make even a callous soul
compassionate.  Knowing that a creature that is in pain or discomfort is
still trying to make the best of life, and depends on your care to do that,
can bring out the empath in anyone.  Every time i see my 9-year old ferret,
Biscuit, exploring the living room with his stumbling gait, looking at me
with all the love in the world in his one working little black eye, i feel
truly blessed to be his caretaker.  I know when he is not capable of
enjoying life anymore, and when that time comes, I will have to make the
decision to help him pass.

~Responsibility
Which brings me to my next point.  The responsibility these little
fuzztubes can instill in one is remarkable.  Granted, I haven't made much
progress with my thesis, but I have learned a lot about scooping poop,
cleaning cages, ferret-proofing a room, constantly observing the area for
possible hazards, and accepting the amount of commitment that a decision
requires.  (Now i just need to accept the commitment that my college
requires, do my thesis, and graduate.)

~Love
When the little 8 week old tubekitten you bring home turns into a
three-pound ankle nipper that poops on the carpet and scratches at the
closet door during your last two hours of sleep-time, you learn a lot
about patience, and unconditional love.  When one of the most independent,
uncuddly, untouchy-feely little whiskerfaces in your group stops for a
few minutes of affection, or gives you a random kiss, it's one of the
heart-meltiest feelings in the world.

Certainly, these animals were put into the universe to fill a special
place, to teach people the lessons that daily life sometimes leaves out,
and to bring happiness and joy to the people they come in contact with.
The sheer range of emotion and feelings associated with my ferrets is
immense--I wouldn't give up living with my weasely friends for the world.

how's that for impromptu homily writing?  please don't plagiarize.  i
might wanna re-work this and publish it. :)

suggestions welcome.

-k-