Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 05:38:59 EDT
>Well I do need to address a few issues that have come to me since this all
>began a few months back.  I am really begging to get the Internet Blues,
  <snip>
>But there a few out there that seem to pick on every little detail that is
>either said or seen.  This is really annoying.  For Months now the sea has
>not calmed..In Fact It has started to churn in warm waters.

Gary and others,

I understand exactly what you are saying and I empathize with you and the
others who have been attacked.  I have been a member of the ferret community
for about 35 years now, a member of the Cyber community for about 6 years
now, and a member of the human community for longer than I can believe most
days.

As bad as it gets, just remember, sooner or later it is likely to get even
worse.  Bet that didn't get a grin out of you this morning.  The truth is is
will get almost unbearable at times, and then it will get better.  The trick
is to try not to let it get to you and continue on with the good work that
you are trying to do.  Eventually, someone will appreciate it.

Being a member of the ferret community is a progression of stages that most
of us go through.  In the beginning, when we first bring that fur-covered,
springy legged, bundle of love and energy into our lives, we are eager to
learn everything we can about the new light of our lives and act like
sponges soaking up everything we can.  That's the Sponge Stage.  It is
generally harmless and looked upon with amusment by others.

Next, comes a terrible stage.  This is the time when people start attacking
others, nit picking at comments, reading insults in between the lines where
none exist.  When their arguments fail to meet logical standards, the people
in this stage resort to innuendo, lies, and personal villification.  In
general, these folks are just downright obnoxious, but cannot be avoided.
You just have to tolerate them as best you can.  This is the Giant Ego
Stage.  It is important to remember that these people are generally not bad
people, and really have no evil intentions.  They have just reached a point
where they are secure that they have accumulated enough ferret information
and experience to have the right to share it with the rest of the world.
They are zealous in this self-appointed quest and seek to correct everything
that they consider wrong or in their opinions, harmful.  But, again, it is
necessary to remember that they really do have high ideals and think they
are doing the right thing, it is just that their focus is too narrow -- kind
of like a laser.  Great for burning things up, but not that great a source
for light, or enlightenment.

With any luck, they will eventually move on to the last stage of growth.
Once they reach that, the Giant Ego shrinks back to a normal size.  This is
the Ferret Stage.  They have learned some important lessons about LIFE from
their ferrets.  The world is a huge place and is filled with lots of people
making mistakes.  Like ferrets, they get over it.  They understand they
can't save the whole world, but they can generously share their knowledge
and experience with others without pointing out every little imperfection
and flaw.  Like ferrets, they have learned to cooperate to achieve a greater
good.  Most importantly, they have come to understand that life is just too
damned short to waste it on silliness.  And, in the end, that's just what
some of these nit picking and personal attacks are -- just plain silly.
They usually resolve nothing, raise human blood pressures to unhealthy
levels, and only divide a community that could otherwise be united.

So, to you, Dr. K, and so many others who have been victims of attacks
recently, believe me when I say that there are people out there who really
do appreciate and applaud your efforts -- sometimes we all forget how far a
few kind words can go and how much good they can do.

Scott -- "Who ain't quite where I would like to be yet, but working hard on
it."
and the Mustilid Mob