Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 05:56:21 -0700
Hi everybody !
My name is Andrea and I live in Brasil.

At the moment I have 4 ferrets and lost another one due a mysterious
disease.

As ferrets are not very popular here in Brasil we dont have vets that are
able to take care of them properly, so I need your help.

What has happen was that Pipoca (Popcorn in english) was ok, then my mother
noticed that when going to the bathroon she had a dark yellow urine, almost
orange.  We found after that this was a diarrhea.  But before we discover
that she was very desidrated and very lethargic We started to give her
pedialyte and waited a day to see if she gets better.  Unfortunatelly she
got worse so we rushed to the vet.

The vet told us to carry on with the pedialyte and gave her a medicine to
stop the diarrhea named Dientrim and an antibiotic named Vibramicina.
After that went home again and returned the next day.

After doing that for 2 days she losted a lot of blood when she popped (she
was so weak that we need to help her to go to the bathroon.  She had no
control of her hind legs.)

After that he changed the Dientrim for Colestase.  She was no more
desidrated but now she was anemic because of the blood that she losted.  He
gave her an injection of vitamin "K" and another medicine named Combiron,
and to home we went again.

I was very worryed because I saw no better signs and she was still VERY
weak and she was looking like she had problems to breath too, but the vet
said that she was in no danger of live and besides her diarrhea was sub
control So this night Pipoca suddenly was much more letargic and then she
had real problem to breath and stoped to breath at all... I tried
everything to reanimated her without success.

Next day I left her at the vet for a necropsy because I was worried (and I
am still) about the other ones getting her disease.  The vet told me that
she had an edema due the anemic problem that pressed her lung causing her
to stop breathing .

So I want to know what people that are used with ferrets think about that
and what advices should I have.  What about my other ferrets?

If you need more information about the medicines, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Andrea  :(  and the very sad ferrets: Ricky, Sneeze,Socks and Silky

PS. sorry if this is toooo long...