From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 12:28:36 -0400
Wow!  Your's didn't mind the funnels?  We had a very small funnel start
up near here years ago (but that one didn't touch down) and the reason we
saw it was because all of the ferrets began screaming at the tops of their
lungs.  I wonder if they take their cue from how the more courageous
ferrets behave and if those get scared then they all get scared?  That's a
pattern seen in some other mammals.

Ferrets really don't seem to miss their spleens when they have to be
removed.  It's an important thing to remember when the choice has to be
made.  Oh, and it's very gently patted before its worked on to remove
pooling blood, that's one reason why a ferret with a huge one can sometimes
be eased temporarily by a gentle massage of the spleen (BUT ASK YOUR VET
ABOUT ANY INDIVIDUAL FERRET, FIRST, BEFORE TRYING THAT SINCE IT MAY BE
DANGEROUS FOR SOME -- I honestly don't know).  Oh, and when Ferret Central
is up again read the section on this to learn about helicobacter and how it
might contribute to the problem, or get it from Bill Gruber's FC files that
Pam Greene made.

Northern Sun has a t-shirt which reads "Always Question Authority" maybe
(after Kev's story) we should see about getting those in ferret