From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2011 01:44:39 -0500
Several years ago, we had some breeders from Finland come here and
bring ferrets, and they also picked up ferrets to take back, so we got
to find out first hand some of what is required when travelling with
ferrets to and from Finland.

Finland is a certified rabies free country, so all ferrets must be up
to date on rabies vaccinations. Also, most European countries also
require the ferrets ( and other companion animals) be microchipped. I
know that Finland does require the chip. There is no quarantine period,
but the ferret must also have a health certificate. The forms can be
purchased online, and taken to your vet to fill out. Finland does not
require ferrets be vaccinated for distemper, but it is still a good
idea to have those vaccinations up to date as well.

Lufthansa only allows small dogs and cats in the cabin, but they will
carry ferrets in the cargo hold, except during the summer. Two years
ago, I travelled to Finland and brought 2 ferrets back with me. Because
it was summer, the only way Lufthansa would transport them was in a
cargo plane, so the ferrets had to travel separately from me. However,
they were well cared for on their trip, and arrived here safely and
seemingly unstressed.

Finnair will allow ferrets to travel on the cabin, but they only fly
into a few US airports. So, the problem becomes how to get the ferrets
from an airport Finnair flies into to your local airport. Currently, I
do not know of any US airlines that will allow ferrets in the cabin.

One thing I suggest if you do decide to take the ferrets with you is
that you purchase the airline pet carrier. I had purchased a pet
carrier that was supposed to be airline approved, and when I reported
to the Lufthansa terminal in Helsinki, I found out it did not meet the
required regulations. It would have been fine for a dog or cat, but one
of the requirements is, the animal must not be able to stick its nose
through any ventilation holes in the carrier. Fortunately, I had
arrived extra early, and the people there were willing to make some
modifications to my carrier. Basically, they covered the whole thing in
a fine wire screen material. I had to pay extra for this, and in the
long run, would have saved money just buying their carrier.

Bringing ferrets back into the US from Finland is actually easier than
taking them there. Again, you are required to have them up to date
on shots, and also have a health certificate. I believe the health
certificate has to be less than 1 week old, so you would need to take
them to a vet while in Finland. When I took my ferrets through customs
here in the US, the customs officer did not even check the health
certificates and other paper work I had - but then, that all had to
be checked in Finland and approved over there, too.

Anyway, I did not find it difficult to do, but because I could not use
Finnair (they do not fly into and DC area airports) and instead had to
use Lufthansa cargo, it was very expensive. I do not remember the exact
cost now, but I think it cost me about $600.00 to ship 2 ferrets from
Helsinki to Washington, DC. Since the cost is based on Euros, and since
at the time I went the dollar was not doing very well, the price could
go up or down depending on the conversion rate.

Danee DeVore

ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!
For more information visit:
<http://www.ferretadv.com>
ADV - Find out how you can help:
http://help4adv.terrabox.com/