From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 13:02:55 -0500
Google Alerts is bringing up a site called PetSkinDoctor so I decided
to look it up.

Dave and Joanna Long are not vets, nor are they MDs as far as I can
find.

They have an emu farm: Longview Farm.

So, if you want Emu Oil (or maybe emu meat as well for all I know) that
could be a source for you though there are plenty of alternative places
to get it, but take the health care statements with a boulder of salt
and use your ferret vet for the info and treatment guidance you need
rather than people with insufficient information who happen to use
"doctor" in a website name.

(It was not an easy thing to track since they do not (so far?) have
their backgrounds on the website, so I had to search for related
articles and on their names which led to a series of articles with
overlaps, finally getting to their emu farm info. I had to do it
because some of the things I saw in news articles could have led some
people to think this might be an option other than treatment for ferret
adrenal disease, for diabetes in cats. It is NOT any of those things
(though I suspect it may make the dry and thin skin some ferret get
with adrenal disease feel better as can some other oils). Emu oil/ fat
has its good points (including as a possible anti-inflammatory) just as
certain other oils/fats do, but nothing is a cure-all and some of the
things in the news articles I read sounded like "snake oil" (forgive
the bad almost-pun). People who want to try emu oil can get products
through pet stores and on-line ferret product stores (for example, the
ferret product, Vivify), from health foods stores and some groceries
or pharmacies, even from general mega-merchants like amazon.com.)

Some far more accurate sources of info than the news articles I saw
today trying to learn about that website (but accept them with their
own limitations such as species used, study designs, comparative
results to other approaches, etc.):

http://www.springerlink.com/content/3830n157u2145526/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10622168

http://www.springerlink.com/content/x3347wn276641714/

and you can find others by using PubMed and Google Scholar.

Notice that you will want to be comfortable with your source since
comparative studies have found emu oils to vary considerably.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: