From:
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 06:02:32 -0700
>From:    Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Kim's vaccine post
>About Galaxy-D [...] it is not labelled for use in ferrets so some vets
>won't use it, they prefer Fervac-D because it is labelled/approved for
>ferrets (covering their you-know-whats).

No this is NOT a CYA.  THis is one company choosing to support ferrets and
developing a vaccine for them.  While another company (now companies)
chooses NOT to support ferrets.  Very cut and dried.  It is the rather
antagonistic approach of ferret owners that discourages companies from
supporting ferrets.

>However, there have been numerous reactions to Fervac-D

There have been numerous reactions to Galaxy-D No credible statistics have
been gathered.

>and so I refuse to take the risk.  [...]  Galaxy-D is supposed to be
>somewhat different though, but it "is said" to offer adequate protection for
>ferrets but the company that makes it will not specifically say this simply
>because they haven't tested it "officially" on ferrets yet, and haven't
>labelled it for them.

Who says its safe?  Whos says its effective?  It might be effective, it
might not.  It has NOT been tested that is critical.  Mo one can say it is
safe and effective as it has NOT been tested.

Galaxy-D is NOT FROMM-D.  It is not minorly changed it is a whole new
vaccine.  There is no reason to suspect Galaxy-D is really any closer to
Fromm-D than Fervac-D.  At least both Fromm-D and Fervac-D used the same
chick embryo growth media unlike Galaxy-D.

>Shelters have used Galaxy-D for years with good results.

SOME shelters use Galaxy-D.  Others choose to use the product tested and
proven effective and safe for ferrets - Fervac-D.

Numerous shelters/breeders/vets have used Fervac-D with great results.
Thousands of shots for some users with NO reactions.

From all I can tell, within the ferret community this has become a political
issue rather than the medical issue it should be.  One organization decided
that United was giving too much support to another and has practically
invented a crisis.  It is doing the ferretsa major diservice to make their
health a hostage of politics.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/