From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 23:20:26 -0500
zen stated:
>I understand the words you are saying and think blaming those who buy pets
>is the wrong way to handle the situation.  Too many shelters (dog, cat and
>ferret) think that they and only they can determine who is worthy of a
>dog/cat/ferret.  They force folks to search for pets outside of shelters.
>You used emotional appeals about "poor freezing ferrets" rather than an
>intellectual argument here.  Emotions are good but they should be used
>carefully.

AGAIN, we do not blame those who buy ferrets-- WE ARE DISAPPOINTED AND
DISMAYED by the retail pet store operations and the dilemma it places on the
sheltering communities.  Many times their (Pet Stores) products are victims
of abandonment, abuse and neglect.  Our investigator found a ferret dead in
the bottom of a pet store cage -- one hour after the store opening-- they
had not even taken the time to notice!!!  Autopsy revealed, as I had
suggested after visual examination, that the ferret hemorraghed from a
gastric ulcer.  It takes a while for that condition to cause the end result!
So, in our eyes this ferret was neglected by this particular pet store.  I
hope this is emotionless but pointedly enough to interpret our views, and
realize it is not purchasers we blame-- it is the availability to the non
committal types which fosters the necessity for many shelter providers.

>So in your assessment the shelter is honest and he is not.  Since it is
>likely you were not present at any possible contact, you have no basis for
>determining the truth of this disagreement.

Hold on, I did not say one was right-- only that there tended to be another
side of the story-- PLEASE don't do this-- not always do we hear both sides,
not always do both sides read clear-- I merely suggested that later
information suggested-- not the whole story was provided.

>Shelter operators such as us and the Drakiotes are just people with
>different opinions on some issues.  Other folks should decide for themselves
>what they want to believe.

Thank You Zen!  We are in agreement this time.  Yes, there is always room
for the difference of opinion.  As well, shelter work has many facets, and
not all shelters proceed the same way.  In the above statement your
accusatory (in your mind factual) remarks about Ferret Wise begging for
funds-- please let me allow some focus here.  Ferret Wise is a IRS tax
exempt incorporation #02-0479809 and registered with the NH Charitable
Funds.  Our financial reports are filed yearly and are pubnlic documents
which can be accesed through the State of NH offices ( or viewed on the
premises M-F by appointment.  We have no secrets here.  Folks are invited,
IF THEY SO WISH to make tax deductible donations to help us further the care
of abuse / neglect ferrets at the facility, to help with costs of
investigations to win judgments on behalf of the ferrets involved, as well
as to help us reach more through the education outreach programs and other
programs which work towards the prevention of cruelty to animals including
low cost rabies vaccinations clinics we sponsor.  More information on Ferret
Wise Shelter is accessible through the internet on the GuideStar database of
non-profits url: http://www.guidestar.org - we invite you to find out more
about what we actually do... please visit.  We have (FWS) been accused in NH
of not being a shelter -- why?  Because we no longer accommodate the intake
of geriatrics who are no longer welcome in the homes which assimilated them.
Because they are old, and getting ill, and becoming an expense-- We
reiterate-- IT IS NOT a shelter's responsibility to assume the cost and
grief of making a decision the owners do not want to make.  The commitment
needs to lie with the person / persons who initialize a responsibility - and
make an initial commitment to the animal.  There are a million emergency
scenarios for shelters to be here, the easy disposal of ferrets is not one
this board feels THIS SHELTER can adequately address- we have 1 full time
volunteer, several event volunteers - and yes, limited funding.  It is
unfair to take on more than you can provide quality care to.  Thus to
accommodate the 100 plus per year previous ferret intakes was in the end
serving only to enable those who sought an easy out.  A shelter should not
take the role (easily) of an enabler either.  At least that is the decision
the board had to make in September when we aligned with the local humane
society which does now take in ferrets-- and they are still taking in
ferrets-- as we try to refer adopting homes over to them.  And take in those
who require behavior modification, or physical rehabilitation previous to
placement, or rehabilitation due to neglect or abuse.  The shelters and
their missions are truly in the eyes of the beholders.  Thanks you for this
opportunity to expand on our visions, thoughts and differences.

Sincerely,
Alicia   for Ferret Wise Shelter