From:
"K. Crassi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 18:37:57 -0500
>From:    "Ulrike:-)" <[log in to unmask]>
>Just a quick question.  Avidin is found in raw egg white.  I've found out
>that it binds with biotin and makes it undigestible.  But I also read
>that "avidin will destroy thiamine in the diet" and that "avidin is an
>anti-thiamine enzyme".  So what is right, does it destroy thiamine or
>bind with biotin or both???  Just a bit confused...

Avidin binds biotin.  Really strongly.  Really REALLY strongly.  (It's
actually quite useful in research because of this.)  Biotin then becomes
unavailable for use.  I'm not sure how much avidin is in one raw egg white
and how much biotin it would bind.  I also don't know how much raw egg
white one average person would have to eat and for how long before it
became a health issue.  BTW, cooking the egg white destroys the avidin,
but you probably already knew that.

I don't know about avidin and thiamine.  I don't think they interact.
There is an enzyme called thiaminase that will destroy thiamine.

Hope that helped.

Karen
"The eternal difference between right and wrong does not fluctuate.
It is immutable.  And if the moral order does not change, then it
imposes on us obligations toward God and man.  Duty, then, requires
the willingness to accept responsibility and to sacrifice one's
desires to a higher law."  --Patrick Henry
No trees were harmed in the production of this message. However, a
rather large number of electrons were somewhat inconvenienced.
If you love ferrets, check out:
http://www.ferretwise.org