From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 13:14:17 EST
I have a ferret that was "dropped off" to me.  He is 2 1/2, altered male
MF, super heathy and chunky, good muscle tone, had some recent neglect
(urine burned pads).  He is very social, and sweet.  He was had been
abruptly switched from Ultimate ferret food to New Deli cat food......
and got a bad allergic rash before he came to us.  Upon the drop off
that night, he wouln'dt so much as drink water.  He was very upset and
confused, but did not act the least bit depressed.  We had him in his old
cage, and in a quiet room (since hes not used to other ferts or us).  He
refused water and food for days....had to be force fed so to speak via
syringe and soup.  Eventually, he got rid of his urine burns, and rash.
He is drinking on his own (he's been here over two weeks here now), and
will run to eat duck soup by himself.  I just now got him down to runny,
soupy ultimate (nothing else added).

Here's my question.  Every time I try to make the soup thicker... he
doesn't like it and doesn't eat as much.  If he sees any little chunks at
all, he gets very turned off and literally runs away.  How do I get him
from this soupy food to kibble?  How do I transition him?  He is making
huge strides in a short time.  I just don't want to belabor the soup
thing so that he gets completely spoiled and stuck on it.  What do I do?

Wolfy

Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/
for information on ferret deafness: