From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 1994 12:02:32 -0500
To Tarra C. Lindborg:

        I am sorry to hear of the trouble you had with your kits.  I am also
somewhat troubled by your recent post:

>We tried to call Dr. Williams, however, it is Sunday and he isn't in.
>The  man who answered the phone obviously did not appreciate us trying to get
>ahold of Dr. Williams on a Sunday, and even after we told him our story
>he  suggested we try tomorrow.  Tomorrow will probably be too late.

        I feel that the other members of the FML should get the entire story.  I
work for the U.S. Army as a veterinary pathologist, although I have prior to
this, I practiced for five years, and am currently liscensed in both Maryland
and Georgia to practice veterinary medicine.  I do not currently have a small
animal practice.  My office is at the Armed Forces Instititue of Pathology in
Washington, D.C. at the Walter Reed Army Hospital Complex.  I rarely work
Saturdays or Sundays in the office; I work in my office at home.

        Last Sunday, I received a call from one of the residents who was
studying in the office at Walter Reed.  He gave my your name, and related your
story.  He gave me your number, or the one you were calling from, and asked me
if if was okay to give out my home phone number to you when you called back (in
fifteen minutes, as I was told you were going to),  I said that would be okay,
and I would wait by the phone for your call.  We generally do not give out home
phone numbers of our doctors for obvious security reasons.

        I also tried the number that he gave me for you several times, and found
that it was a fax machine, or a modem, perhaps.  I waited for your call, as he
did for several hours, and in case I missed it, I even put a message on my
machine instructing you as to what to do with the mother and the kits.
Unfortunately, you did not call again, either the resident at the Institute or
myself, and I could not get a hold of you.

        I'm not sure what more could have been done in this instance...

        Ferrets exhibit cannibalism as a result of stress either prior to or
shortly after delivery.  Pregnant jills should be disturbed as littel as
possible in the week prior to delivery, or shortly thereafter, or this type of
tragedy may result.  They should also be monitored carefully during this time.

        In cases in which the jill rejects or cannibalizes kits, the mother and
babies should be separated.  Kitten replacer formula is the closest available
thing to ferret milk, and can be picked up at a veterinary emergency clinic (I'm
sure there are several in the Fargo area) or even most pet stores.  Bottles are
generally available, too.

        Your message was heartbreaking to read - I only wished that you had
called back....

To all readers of the FML:

        I will be out of town from 28 Feb-7 Mar, and will be unable to answer
posts.  I have been asked to participate in some marine mammal survey work off
of the coast of California during this time (along with ferrets, I also do a lot
of work with seals and sea lions for the government).  I shall return and answer
all of your posts as soon as I get back...

Bruce Williams, DVM