From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 2009 00:29:51 -0400
This is IMO on the adoption and resale of ferrets. If ferrets are bein
adopted by a ferret shelter/ferret rescue and then beig put of for
sale not to long after of the Craigs lists, then blame IMO is on the
shoulders of said shelters and rescues.

Why? Beause the oporators didn't do their research on the prespective
parrent, that's why. We as shelter & rescue operators need to take the
responcibility of checking new owners ou tot the fullest extent to make
sure the babies will be well cared for. Whe I get a call or e- mail
from someone looking to adopt I ask a few questions & give information.

1) Are you over 18yrs old?
2) Do you own or rent? (If you rent I need a letter from the landlors
stating that the person is allowed to have ferrets.)
3) I ask if they have children and the ages of said children.
4) I ask if they have pets and if so what kind and how many.
5) I explain the ONLY reference I except is their VET. Reason being is
a vet I have found will not lie about how a client takes care of their
4 legged family members. This gives a good indication of how the ferret
will be taken care of.
6) I further explain that I do a home visit or have one of my agents
do it for me if I am unavailable at the time. Doing a home visit does
a few things, like helps you see if the home is safe helps you meet
everyone in the family and if they already have pets, lets you see who
they are bing taken care of and what kind of condition they are in.

Wether the person has had ferrets or has them now I tell them to go and
purchase "Ferrets For Dummies" and READ the book. I further explain
that things have changed over the years and I want them to be well
informormed of what they are getting into. If I don't have what they
are requestion, I fin them another shelter or rescue that might. As
far as charging an adoption fee.............YES I do. I have seen so
many shelters and rescues CLOSE due to lack of funds and the adoption
fee goes twards medicare and suplies for the kids I care for. On the
other hand, I do NOT charge a surrender fee. In order for me to take
a ferrets in the ferrets must be up to date on it's shots and be ADV
tested and I need PROOF of this. My rescue is ADV free and I intend
on keeping it that way.

On the subect of putting the animal down at homebecause of cost, I
think this is being selfish. You cared and love he animal as a family
memeber and in return they gave you unconditional love. I hate the
fact that people bring their pet to a vet, hand it over to be put down
and walk away. When I have to bring one of the kids in to end thei
suffering, Im there the whole time. I talk to them and explain about
the Rainbow Bridge and while their pain is eased I'm holding them and
loving them till their final breath. In my minds eye they leave knowing
they were loved not abandoned as they leave this life for the next.

[FY]