From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 12:53:13 -0400
Pat wrote:
>GOOD NEWS, Merial has sent out questionaires for veterinarians to fill
>out concerning ferret and canine distemper and rabies vaccines, and what
>the interest would be in the Recombitek vaccine... This is most likely to
>try to get a feel of what the market would be.  Please contact your vet
>and make sure he/she fills this out and sends it in asap.  It is extremely
>important, if the response is favorable enough we could be well on our way
>to finally having a safe choice in vaccines.

WONDERFUL!  This is the canary pox vectored Recombitek vaccine which
carries zero chances of contracting CD, and which is in its second phase
of testing.  The last I heard they still had NOT seen vaccine reactions
with it, and of course that risk improvement for our ferrets is one of the
big great things about it.  Another is that it actually works safely on a
number of wild animals which are susceptible to Canine Distemper.  Have
not heard of trials on seals but wouldn't be surprised it those are being
done given how that disease has impacted some species.  Have heard of fine
results on lions, which -- even though they are a feline -- do get canine
distemper and die of it.  This would help save populations of such animals
as well as making ferrets safer, so it could have conservation effects as
well.  DO remind your vet to let Merial know of their interest, as Pat
suggests!