From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 1996 16:51:06 -0500
Looks like I'm going to have to find some little fire hats for four ferrets.
They  made their first fire run with the Goffstown, NH Fire Department.

Long story.  Started on Friday when my wife Joan (other half of 4 Li'l Paws
Ferret Shelter) was coming back from taking four fuzzies in for their rabies
shots.  Seems like Joan and a pickup truck contested the same intersection
at the same time.  Most important, Joan is fine.  The ferrets are fine.  Car
is not, but that's minor.  Fire rescue had to cut them out of the car.  They
put Joan in an ambulance and took her to the hospital where she got to rest
for a few days.  She's home.  Lots of stitches and bruises on the head.

The ferrets got put in the fire truck.  Firemen thought the police had them.
Fire call came in, and off they went ferrets and all.  The firemen noticed
the extra passengers on the way.  They made sure that they were warm and dry
during the NE lastest snow storm, while at the call.  They were given a
place of honor (front office of the fire station - what a kid wouldn't give
for that!) The fireman said that we should paint black spots on them now
that they are the mascots of the station.

Dr. Dutton's people picked them up for us at the station when they heard
about the accident.  Great bunch of people!!!!!!  In fact they called me at
the hospital just about the time I got there to tell me that the ferrets
were fine and to inquire about Joan.  Thank you everyone at the Weare
Animal Hospital.  They kept the ferrets for us (are still keeping them
right now in fact).  They even went to the remains of the car to retreive
some medications that two of the ferrets were on.  Can't possibly thank
them enough.

The New Hampshire Ferret Owner's Coalition brought Joan some flowers, candy
and a ferret (stuffed toy) to the hospital.  Big thanks to all of them too.
I kept threatening to bring in a real one, but I didn't think the hospital
had much of a sense of humor.  (During the initial emergency room treatment,
one of the doctors came over to ask how she felt.  She said she felt like
she was hit by a truck.  The doctor just nodded his head and turned to me as
ask "Isn't that what happened?  ) Anyway one of the people tending her has
three ferrets at his home.  Now *he* had a sense of humor.  <G>

Lots of "Get well" wishes from many other ferret folks in the area.  Really
made her feel better faster.  I've always said that "Ferret people are
special" and this really proves it.

Thanks everyone.

Dick B.