From:
Roger McMillian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1993 13:16:15 -0400
Part - continued from previous message -

3. Ms. Van Dahm contends that the GCFA shelter euthanizes ferrets for biting
and doesn't give ferrets a chance. The shelter policy regarding biting requires
euthanasia only if the ferret is a stray and has been at the shelter for less
than 30 days with no rabies vaccination history. This is similar to other
animal shelters because of the potential exposure of the ferret to wild animals
while being a stray. We do not know what the incubation period of rabies is in
ferrets, so we must protect the humans involved.  If the ferret is an owner
give-up and is a biter, we give it several chances to be worked with to see if
it will calm down. We do NOT adopt out biters to the general public.

        According to the shelter records, while Ms. Van Dahm was Shelter Di-
rector from 1987 to 1993, there were  42 ferrets euthanized for biting. In the
years from 1987 to 1990, 41 ferrets were euthanized for biting based primarily
on Ms. Van Dahm's recommendation. After 1990 we instituted the policy that a
euthanasia committee mad up of the Veterinary Advisor, the Shelter Director
and one Board of Directors member had to jointly make euthanasia decisions.
Only one ferret was euthanized at the time due to the possibility of rabies
and had its brain examined (it was negative). The rest of the biters had been
euthanized strictly due to their behavior.

        Since 4/93 there have been NO ferrets euthanized for biting at the
shelter and we emphasize that we strive to work with the pet with more than one
of the shelter personnel and for several weeks before we would even consider
such a decision.

>> I should point out that, according to state law, any ferret that bites and
>> draws blood may be "sacrificed" at the request of the bitten party (or, if
>> the bitten party is a minor, a legal guardian) and tested for rabies. This
>> is the case whether or not the ferret in question has been vaccinated for
>> rabies. Nevertheless, none have been euthanized for biting since 4/93.

        The main overall reason that have had to euthanize ferrets at the
shelter is because of incurable and painful medical conditions. Since 1990,
as mentioned previously, this decision has had to be made based on the recom-
mendation of the veterinary advisor and has to be approved by the Shelter Di-
rector and at least one other board member.  These decisions are not made
lightly or frivolously, and even if the condition is terminal, but the ferret
has a chance to live a quality life without pain and discomfort, we opt for
adoption into our foster program rather than euthanasia. We have had only two
euthanasias for medical reasons since 4/93. Our foster program, which was im-
plemented in 4/93 has met with incredible success in finding homes for unad-
optable older ferrets with medical conditions. The foster program is one that
Ms. Van Dahm had opposed during her term as Shelter Director.