From:
Jaime Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 23:22:01 -0700
>From:    Tabatha <[log in to unmask]>
>
>[...] But I don't think she is actually having any seizures.  She
>will kinda shake or heave like when you have the hickups and you
>whole body will kinda shudder when you hick up.  Or its like if she
>had to throw up a hair ball, but she will just heave once and isn't
>trying to throw up.  Does any one have a clue what it is?  Should I
>be going to the vet immediately?

Tabatha- I'm a worrier, so when in doubt, I go to the vet.  Our Scooter
(who passed away last week- unrelated) used to have little hiccup-like
things.  We thought maybe they were hairballs or something, so for awhile
we gave him some stuff for that.  It didn't seem to do anything, and
since he was otherwise healthy and had these off and on, we finally
stopped.  I've decided they were either hiccups or coughs (sometimes
they sounded like a cough/sneeze; other times they were silent), or
burps or something.  Our other ferrets get hiccups- you can tell they're
hiccups- they are non-rhythmic, like when humans get them; I mean, if a
human is about to throw up, a heave seems to have a certain regular
rhythm (sorry, don't know what else to call it) to it, whereas hiccups
are more sporadic- at least in my observation.  But take her to the vet
if you have any questions or doubts- if only to put your mind at rest.

Jaime