From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 15:05:52 -0400
Mike, you can find links to news stories to read about the court case
brought against her by the Utah authorities for animal abuse of ferrets
and the conditions in the FML Archives.  My impression (so check me on
this because ragweed is blooming so my asthma is not making me most
coherent or most logical) is that she is on probation now and not
permitted to have over a small amount of animals.  I suspect that there
may be details in some websites, too, but haven't checked.  Yep.  I
just did a quick look on Google and there are details elsewhere including
in newspapers which have some details so you could just go to those
directly.  If she has a shelter now then she may be in violation of
probation.  Also, remember recent lessons on those who have public faces
and private faces.  That is something to consider, though, of course, I
guess that it is possible that she had a disorder leading to the terrible
things mentioned in the news reports and that it is under treatment now
resulting in large changes.  Don't know -- just hoping for the best face
to it though I wouldn't risk a bet on that, especially in light of what
I have learned from

http://www.nal.usda.gov/awic/legislat/awa.htm (USDA Animal Welfare Act)
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ac/publications.html (USDA animal care
       publications and policies)
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=lobby_statelawcards
       (animal cruelty statutes for each state, may not be up to date)
http://www.tufts.edu/vet/cfa/hoarding.html (Animal hoarding research)
http://www.tufts.edu/vet/cfa/MunicipaLawyer.pdf (download article on
       animal hoarding)
http://www.legis.state.il.us/publicacts/pubact92/acts/92-0454.html
       (Illinois public act on humane animal care)
and especially
http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/p000425.html (psychiatric article on
      people who hoard animals)

I know of at least three people who are or have been on the FML who fit
the profiles of abusive hoarders, and know that the three I know about
have cleaned up their acts temporarily only to lose control over their
action again down the line, sometimes more than twice.  So, if that
shoe fits...