From:
Tim and Denise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 1996 12:48:59 -0400
Hi everyone!
A couple of weeks ago I introduced you all to our two "raptor" ferrets,
Shamus and Pearl.  (I say "raptor" because yesterday they came out of their
ferret room, peeking around the door the way the raptors did in the kitchen
scene in "Jurassic Park".  My son noticed the resemblance immediately.)
Anyway, we had Shamus the Bad on the leash in the field next to the house
about a month ago when he discovered a RABBIT HOLE to his delight.  Down he
went, with me nervously hanging onto the leash wondering if this was a good
idea.  He was probably about four feet down when I hauled him back, very mad
at me for spoiling his hunt.  I imagine in the back of his mind there were
some vague ancestor memories of glorious days spent hot on the trail of prey
in such burrows.  Now he visits there regularly--knows exactly where it is
in the field.  I haven't let him go down again though, pore thin'...I'm not
sure, but I now strongly suspect that is where he went on his last outdoor
storm adventure I described here before.  I found a quilt in the ferret room
later that had mud streaks on it that looked VERY MUCH like a ferret had
used it to clean fur that had become muddy in a WET RABBIT HOLE.

By the way, I want to recommend "Four Paws" string harness leashes.  They
are pretty cheap, are adjustable, comfortable (both ferrets have fallen
asleep with them on),easy to put on, and escape proof.  It is so funny to
watch the two slinkys exploring the great outdoors together.  Of course, one
goes north and the other south...with me between...

To Ruby's owner--what your vet said about the stress sounds very much like
what happened to a Doberman of mine.  She became stressed at the vet's
office, and her white blood cell count went down.  I hope Ruby is on the
mend..

Love and ferret kisses from Pearl Girl and BADBAD Shamus