From:
Judith Emery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 1996 09:10:59 -0400
For everyone who's wondering about their ferrets passion for photos....

Now if I can remember correctly:

Photos are made up of three layers.  There's the base (paper), the something
that I can never remember the name of and I don't have my conservation books
here but which is responsible for creating the image, and the emulsion.  The
emulsion is the sort of soft gooey part of the photo that sort of holds the
image to the paper.  In certain types of photographic processes, the
emulsion was made from egg whites.  Now it's made from a kind of man-made
gelatin.  What your ferret is doing is munching on the emulsion.  (I don't
know why they do it, my rats used to do it too).  Given the number of
chemicals used in the developing process, I would try to keep them out of
reach.

Judith