From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 16:33:39 -0800
To keep my ferrets from digging and dumping their food dish I have had to
make something myself.  I bought four dog crate food dishes (2 for food and
2 for water).  I cut a rectangle in the front part of two (a little bigger
than the ferret's head).  And I also cut out a small rectangle in the back
of this dish (about 1/2") for air to flow through.  Then I glued (using a
waterproof glue) one cut-out dish with one uncut dish.  I also had to drill
two small holes on the back of the cut-out dish above the small cut-out
retangle (where the hooks are, which i cut off the top dish's hooks) and put
a strip of leather through the holes to tie the dish onto the wire of the
cage.  I also place the dishes in the cage to where they have to stand up a
bit to get into the dish.  This way they use their paws to hold themselves
up while eating instead of digging in the food.  This dish, when tied, also
prevents them from taking it off the wire and tossing it about the cage
dumping all the contents and wetting their bedding.  Hopefully this
description gives you an idea of what it looks like.  It is not a pretty
creation, but it works for me.