From:
April Gallaty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 01:11:49 -0800
Here's the latest on my kids.  Thank you to everyone that bid on my
auctions.  I've raise almost $400 on auctions alone!  That plus overtime
is doing the thing!  I have CDs and stuff up for auction now
<http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=agallaty>
(no ferret stuff right now) but thanks to all who've bid and helped us
out!  We all appreciate it...now, for the update...

BOBA

We had an accident with Boba.  She came running under Damon's feet at
the last second and got stepped on.  However, after a quick run to the
emergency vet and then to her regular vet and a few x-rays later, we were
happy to find out that she didn't break anything.  She had a bruised
shoulder and that was about it.  She is now walking normally again and
playing as normal with no problems.  Also, she went in for surgery for
adrenal (and dental).  She came out with flying colors, but the poor girl
had an allergic reaction to the stitches!  So, by the time they came out,
she was red and irritated along the stitch line and on her nose where it
touched her face while she nipped at the stitches.  So, the stitches came
out, she got some hydrocortisone on the spots and she's doing fine.  In
fact, we noticed today that her little vulva is WAY smaller and she is
turning blue!  Her fur is coming in!  :0) So, Miss Boba is kicking ass
and doing well.  She is off all medications now.

FRICK

Frick had surgery on the 6th.  He did great.  He had an adrenal removal
and some insulonoma's and a dental.  He's not out of the woods, but he's
being watched at the vet's office and will hopefully come home in a few
days.  He is right now on .2 Pred and .2 Diazoxide 2 times a day.  They
were trying to wean him from the Pred to the Diazoxide, but they realized
that his glucose wasn't moving!  So, they kept him on that combo for now.
We are hoping that this surgery will greatly reduce or take away his need
for medications.  He's fat and sassy right now and we aren't anticipating
any problems.  We are going to let him stay at the vet for several days
though so that they can monitor him for crashing due to the surgery and
med changes that are to occur.

TERRY

Terry was half naked.  We started her on Lupron while all the surgeries
are going on.  Terry is third in line for adrenal surgery (and a dental).
However, since starting Lupron, she had grown in a full coat!  So, she
is no longer "Terry With the Tail".  She is just Terry now. :0)  Our
babysitter's daughter says that now that Terry has fur, she doesn't look
so "shredded".  LOL.  Terry isn't on any medications right now.  She was
getting treated for some strange skin condition.  She had little spots
all over her, but Silversaladine (or something like that) took care of
it.  It wasn't contagious because no one else in the group had it, but it
was itchy to her.  Fortunately, we got that taken care of before the hair
grew in.  We'd have had a hell of a time finding the spots!  LOL.

LAZY

Finally, old man Lazy.  He had a check up and we found out that his
glucose is way low and not improving.  He also went on .2 Diazoxide 2
times a day for that and is now taking .1 Pred as well!  It turns out
that poor Lazy has a heart murmur.  A BAD one.  It makes his heart go
swish-beat, swish-beat, swish-beat, etc.  So, he in on .2 Analipryl every
other day for his heart.  He has also been getting regular Lupron shots.
The Lupron has been effective.  He's growing in fur.  However, since the
glucose isn't improving, it means the insolunoma's are probably out of
control.  I'm afraid we are going to have to risk surgery even though he
hast he heart murmur.  Our vet (Dr. Burgess) is kick ass, so have faith
that Lazy will do just fine.  He may surpass Terry for need and get
surgery next.  I would love to see him off all his meds, but that's
probably not going to be possible because of his heart.  It doesn't slow
him down.  He kicks it just fine.  I just can't seem to get any weight
on him.  He's fairly fat, but his ribs show and I'm trying like hell to
fatten him up.  However, today, we learned that he put on .2 pounds, so
we're getting there slowly but surely...

VENUS, CALLIOPE, & POSEIDON

I will group them since they are all doing fine.  When this is all
said and done, they all need dental cleanings, but otherwise, everyone
is fine.  Venus gets .2 pred once a day and gets a Lupron shot once a
month, but otherwise, they are all healthy, fat, sassy and they run me
to death. :-)  This is my old crew too.  Venus is 9, Poseidon is 8 and
Calliope is 7.

Again, my kids thank you!  Happiness and love from the Gallaty Zoo Crew!