Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 18:52:42 EST
Fruit Loop (aka Fruity, Fruitness) has gone to the bridge to be with Rowdy,
Tunny, Wheeler and Emily.  I m still trying to convince myself that we did
the right thing.  I feel so guilty.  Everyday for the last 3 to 4 weeks I
expected him to die.  I was beginning to think that the only thing keeping
him alive was my force feeding him and was I doing him a disservice.  He
slept most of the time and had a hard time getting around.  Fruity was
around 6 or 7 years old, had insulinoma, mast cell tumors, enlarged spleen,
cataracts, gingivitis, a cyst/tumor of some kind, and whatever else.  Bless
his heart!

We adopted Fruity 16 mos ago with 7 others from a shelter.  He was Bootsie
s cage mate.  We knew he wasn t in the best of health when we adopted him
and we took him in to make his last days the best that we could.  He did
try and weasel war a little at first and fell over (too cute).  I wish I
would have known him when he was younger.  He loved Fruit Loops so I m
assuming that's why they named him that or maybe he did a great weasel war.
Fruity was the sweetest ferret and everybody that came to visit loved him.
He got around pretty good for not being able to see and walk well.  Of
course, when we found out he had insulinoma we had to quit giving him sweet
treats like Fruit Loops, bananas, and raisins.  He loved Bob s chicken
gravy.

Since some of my ferrets tested positive for ADV we had his body sent off
to the University for study.  It s hard not having closure with him not
dying a natural death at home and not being able to bury him.

This is the third one we ve lost in 3 months, four since last July and I m
hoping we re done for awhile.  Everyone else seems to be doing fine, even
Harley who just had insulinoma surgery.  The test results came back that is
was insulinoma (Thank Goodness)!  I don t think I could have taken bad news
along with putting Fruity to sleep on Saturday.  I know he s better off and
not suffering any more, but I still feel very sad and miss him.

Mary, Rob and The 12 Munchkins (missing Fruity)