From:
Ferret MOM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2005 19:29:12 -0700
Thank you all for the prayers and words of support.  The tests are back
and it is established that Blondie has pseudomonas aeruginosa mustela.

As I understand, it is very rare in ferrets.  It is a bacterial virus
(the worst out there)  It is very resistant to anti-biotics and the
course of treatment often has to be changed.  It can display itself
internally as well as externally.  It must continue to be treated for
a period of time after there are no more signs.  It can recur and need
to be treated all over again.

We are lucky that we found signs of it before any lesions actually became
excessively infected.  Many kids lose tails, toes, feet etc. to this
deadly bacteria.

At present I will continue to administer injections of Baytril and
observe.  This week end she had some congestion in her lungs and that
seems to have passed.  She eats well only when fed.  She is very weak
although she has a little energy after feedings (10-15 min.) and is being
kept in a playpen beside me, when I am up and working, so she can move
about if she chooses.  Her eyes are bright and, so far , has not shown
signs of pain except when she walks on her feet.  She prefers to scoot
and roll.

If you can share incidences of this that you have gone through PLEASE
contact me.  I will consider advice and knowledgeable leadership.  We
are taking it day by day.

DOOKS and BLESSINGS from Ferret MOM

Leizann Michele Engelke
1086 River Rock