Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 16:05:17 -0800
for 13 of the 15 'Yakimaniac's'  The vet came up 2 doses short of the
required 15, so the 2 forgotten ones, will be done later in the week..
We wanted to get the Distemper vaccinations up to date, so they can go
outside, now that the weather is starting to moderate...

Having known we have 2 ferrets that have had prior reactions, they recieved
Benadryl first, while the weights, checkups, and vaccinations proceded with
the rest...

Then 25 minutes after recieving his vaccination, Chuckles began acting
strange....as if he had a piece of food stuck in his mouth (a check showed
that not to be true)..he kept wanting to run into a covered area, which I
did not want him doing!  He shortly thereafter vomited 2-3 times, and
collapsed........so, he got a dose of Benadryl, and I held him while he
played 'dead ferret'......a little too well.....so a shot of Adrenalin was
administered, but ol' Chuck continued to play 'dead ferret' only now with
poorer color, so off to the van he went for further treatment (O2/Fluids)
We use a Mobile Vet, who comes to our house, for all our ferrets care
(excepting surgery..)

So, we will be pre medicating 3 now, with our next round of vaccinations!

The weights for the 8 boys ranged from 1lb 12oz to 2lb 8oz
The weights for the 7 girls ranged from 1lb 5oz to 1lb 14oz

I also was room cleaning before the Vet came, and as usual had the vaccum
cleaner in with me, getting food and litter out of the bottoms of their
cages, and I (as usual) left it running, as it gives Jasper a chance to be
the 'Great Sable Hunter' as he loves to attack it!  While I was opening the
upper door of one of the cages, I heard the pitch of the vaccum change, and
looked down to see Jasper doing the 'Facehugger scene from Alien' with his
face stuck in the nozzle, and him thrashing about!  Thankfully it only
lasted 2-3 seconds till I had him freed....but the poor little guy had
quite a fright!!

Hugs and comfort from Dad, along with some Ferretvite made it all better
tho.....(and the vet cleared him when he arrived a few minutes later also)
I guess there will be some rethinking on vaccum policy now...

and that is the Saturday happenings from Yakima....

Richard, Debra, and the 15 'we'll be going outside soon now! Yakimaniacs'