Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 02:43:42 -0700
Sam pretty well summarized the adventures of the New Zealand Seven in
yesterday's FML.

I would really like to send out some thanks here.

First and foremost, The biggest tip of my ever present cowboy hat to 3
very special ladies.

WUV2SING (Chris K.), Ferty (AKA GABBY, real name Christina) and someone I
have never met, Heather.  These ferret folk took a day of their time and
went to the LA International airport to administer mid-trip refresments to
the New Zealand ferrets.  WUV2SING and Heather drove all the way from San
Diego and picked Christina up in the LA area.  Turns out the help they
offered was not to the ferrets, they had an adventure of their own, but
acted as liason between me in Reno, Nevada, and United Airlines, who had
someone on the ramp who thought they were being helpful by doing a plane to
plane ramp transfer of the Magnificent 7.  If Chris, Christina, and Heather
had not been present, who knows how long it would have taken to locate the
then lost ferrets and what the condition of the ferrets would have been.

Heather, I know nothing of you, except you have a wonderfully big heart...
THANK YOU!.  Many of you know Chris as one of the participants in the San
Diego Freedom March and was quoted in the US distributed AP news article.
Ferty (Gabby..Christina) is owned by two angora ferrets, Chy and Hogan.
You can drool all you wish..she's got 'em!

Even though things turned out differently than planned, the night cargo
manager at United Airlines Cargo at LAX was wonderful.  Her name is Rosa
Garcia and was off yesterday, she spent much of her time assisting me in
getting everything set up.  It was not her fault things happened as they
did.

We all have a tendency to blow away wildlife figures, be it local or
Federal, but..Mike Osborne, of the United States Department of Wildlife,
whose domain is animal imports at LAX was, well...GREAT!  It was his
actions that keyed all of the 'fixes' that were needed to bring in these
little people.  Because the ferrets were going to go through customs in
Reno, it was Mike who made sure everything was done for final Customs
clearance.  When the ferrets were mis-shipped to San Francisco, it was he
who made sure that the ferrets could continue on to Reno, rather than be
returned to LAX for the necessary inspections and signoffs.  To top it all
off, last night, he called to make sure the babies had indeed arrived and
were safely destroying the sanity of my home.  Is there a medal for such
officials?  I don't know, but I guarantee the Secretary of that Department
in Washington D.C. is gonna hear about his dedication.

I want to thank Inspector Schumacher of US Customs, here in Reno.  She was
scheduled to check in the fuzzies at 2030 hours but got an emergency call
at 1430 hours to 'come now', the ferrets are here early.  Instead of an
earful of complaining, I got a "Be right there Mr. Wolfe" and she was, with
a big smile.  (She even waived the $9.00 document fee!) What a lady!
Another government employee who is to be commended.

Last but not least, is the pilot of the United Airlines flight in San
Francisco who heard about the wayward ferrets and realizing the massive
delays due to weather in San Francisco would delay their arrival even more,
said, "Hey, let me take them to Reno, I am leaving now..I will just carry
them 'In cabin'!  I understand he stopped the plane after push-back so
cargo could hand up the ferrets to him.

I know this is a long post, but these thanks need be posted for all to
read.  The ferrets came through in flying colors.  (No play on words
intended!)  I was stressed to the max.  When they were finally turned loose
to stretch here at home, I finally relaxed and took a deep breath.  Yes
Sam, we all here in the Wolfe family fell in love with each of the little
charmers.  All I gotta say, is: Amy, Pat, Deb, Sacki, Bob C., and Dayna..
you all are gonna have your hearts stolen a bit more!

Sam...gotta love ya!  You can relax now!  Their (our!) ordeal is over.

MC  (The Rude One)