From:
Caterina Venturelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 20:13:39 -0400
First of all, Thank you to all who send me information about places where
ferrets are illegal, it is something very important to consider for me.

The other thing is that I wanted to comment the behaviour of my ferret when
the time of changing his fur arrives.  I don't know if Cota the ferret of
Lisa has always behaved like so other times, but my Gigio who is now 2
years has always been very unnusual when changing coat.  It is a period
of time that can last more than two weeks.  His appetite decreases
dramatically, he can get very skinny, he also does not drink as much as he
does and also he seems a bit depressed, he is not as playful and prefer to
sleep.  This has been happening since his very first change of fur.  He is
the only ferret so I can not compare his behaviour with other ferrets but
there is definitely a change in his mood.  I had to develop some strategies
to help him going through this.  I prepare him some soy milk at nights so
he drinks what he hasn't during the day, I prepare a kind of duck soup with
Gerber, grinded kibble, ferrevite and ferretone, so he can eat a little
extra, although is not easy to make him lick my finger, he does it more to
be a good boy to his mom than because of being hungry.  Of course he gets
his hairball remedy every morning.  Is it common to all ferrets to behave
strange during this period?  Are there other ferrets that suffer similar
symptoms?  I have learned to manage this situation but I am always worried
about him during this time.

Best regards,
Cathie and Gigio.