From:
The Clarks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 20:55:40 -0500
Hi everyone!

Last night I was feeding the new baby's at Petco's again.  That's when I
was told the bad news.  A Lady had bought one of the little ones from there
five days ago and she insists it has given her two existing ferrets ADV.
Within those five days, one of them had to be put down(cremated!) and the
other is ill too, has to be syringe fed and they feel sure that he has to
be put down also.  She says the vet told her that he had all the symptoms
of ADV.  The alarm went off in my head, I have visions of thousands of
ferrets being slaughtered at MF!  Please God, don't let this be true!  I
ask why they had not tested him for that, are they sure?  The vet said that
they can't test the dead animal for that.  I don't' know facts but don't
believe this is true?  To be sure, they want the new one to be tested but
waiting for MF to tell them what to do and who will pay for it.  We have
not had any other sick ferrets returned from that litter.  Actually we
don't even know which litter that one was from since sometimes ferrets are
left over from previous litters Will somebody who knows the facts please
answer me two quick questions.

Is it really possible for this to have happened within five days?  And
where would they send the tests too, the vet did not know but she's trying
to find out.  Is United Vaccine the only one performing this test in the
US?  We are in Illinois but only 30 miles from ST.Louis,MO.  I have not had
the time to search the Archives.  I still think that this happened to quick
but I could be wrong.  I so fear for that little one as I know MF will want
him back as soon as they hear "Aleutian." I feel sure he's dead even if he
proofs neg.

Please folks, I beg you all not to draw conclusions from this about MF
ferrets.  They suffer enough as it is.  It has yet to be proven if it
indeed was the little ferret from MF !!

I will post here again whatever news I get.  Thanks in advance for any
answers.

Helga
(The one who's motor runs on ferret kisses.)