From:
Roberta McCanse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:13:42 -0600
A note to those of you who so kindly responded to our concerns about
Ricky, the ferret that had a squamous cell tumor of the jaw:

One of our foster dads, Jeff, lost his best friend, Ricky, last night.
We knew it was coming but Jeff was trying so hard to save him. In
addition to being pretty old, probably at least 8, Rick had a number of
health problems aside from the squamous cell tumor including adrenal
tumors and prostate problems, and lately some hypoglycemia. In an
effort to help deal with the prostate problems Dr. Snyder in Topeka had
recently inserted a deslorelin implant. Given Jeff's feelings for Ricky
I do not feel that this was a waste.

Jeff has been Ricky's guardian for several years, watching over him
even when he was adopted by another family. Ricky loved Jeff and gave
him endless kisses. At the shelter we remember Ricky as "The One That
Got Away." Several years ago, while climbing on a cage, he found a hole
in the ceiling and escaped, down the inside of a wall and out into the
world at large. He managed to avoid the dogs in the back yard and was
found a couple of days later by a woman who saw him digging in her
potted plants. His thirst for adventure abated as he aged but he
remained a loner, dismissing other ferrets, and loving only Jeff.

Jeff's address, should you want to drop him a note:

Jeff Actin, PO Box 469, Clearview City, KS 66019

Bobbi McC <+:-(