Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 1995 01:41:38 -500
I have read the FML now for only about 4 days, but I've been interested in
ferrets for about two weeks (you fall in love with them as soon as you read
about them, at least I did!) cuz I read about them in a local forum on a
BBS I call.  I am only 15 years old (I know what you're thinking, "hes
nuts!!" but I'm not) I'm gonna have to wait three years to get one (prob.
two though) , because we have two cats and my parents think thats enough
animals, and also cuz (obviously) I need to be 18 (I think) to get my own
apartment.  Imagine getting all your fuzzies taken away and you have to
wait three years to get them back, well thats how long I have to wait to
get some.  :( I then found this mailing list and started reading all about
these buetiful animals, but I have many many questions.  I hope many long
time ferret owners will answer these questions.
OK here goes,

1.  Should I expect a sick ferret when I get it, because it *seems* as though
all your ferrets get sick sooner or later.

2.  I want to get two ferrets so they can play with each other (I think
getting only one would be hard on the ferret, they need someone to hang
around with!!) should they be out of the same litter, would that make them
friendlier with each other??

3.  Should I buy one from a store or get one from a local shelter.

4.  What signs should I look for to know the ferrets I'm getting are good
ones.

5.  Male or female?

6.  Do the colors mean anything?

7.  Do they smell really bad at first, does it go away (or does it stay),
what helps get rid of the smell.

8.  How much should I be spending on
a. the ferrets (if I buy them from a store)
b. boosters, first shots, etc.
c. nuetering
d. checkups
e. food
f. cages
g. etc etc all other fees

9.  I really need help on ferret proofing my (future) apartment, what are the
dangers, what materials do I use??

10.  What kind of diet, what do I feed them, how often.

11. How many litterboxes should I have?

12.  What size cage for two of the little guys (or gals)??

13. When are they supposed to be in the cage (overnight, me at work, etc.)??

14. Should I buy or make a cage??

15.  Can they catch any sickness from me?

16.  How should an everyday life with them be (what I mean is how long
should I play with them, how long do they usally sleep, etc etc)

17.  This one I would really like an answer to-- are they really as smart as
they sound, I mean people talk about them (one story I saw here) dropping
tools from a drawer down to there buddies, can they really be that
coordinated, and about how SMART they are, how they can open things, and how
they always find a way to do certain things (TURN ON A COMPUTER AND RENAME
AN ICON?!?!?!?!?).  Are they really that smart?

18. How long is an average life span?

19. Any other info you think I should know before I buy one.

I know it is gonna be THREE YEARS before I get one, but think of it this way,
I'm gonna be prepared!!!!!!
Please take my questions seriously, I know I'm only 15 but I do love and care
for all animals, and ferrets are just something I really want.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE answer these question, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE respond
either by posting here, or mailing to--

[Moderator's note: Did you read the FAQ by any chance? BIG]

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

John---me

*insert name for future ferrets here*