From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 09:19:44 -0800
Captain N & I pointed out on Saturday-

>From:    "Capt. Nodrog" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferts and Ca

>>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Ferrets in California
>>I'm new to all of this.  I lost my cat a couple fo weeks ago and am now
>>considering a Ferret.  Unfortunately I live in California where they are
>>still illegal (as most of you know).  I feel like I could break this
>>law.

>Well Jeff, not to be nasty, but DUH!  What are you thinking with?

First, if your intention is not to be nasty, then why are you being nasty?

>Is not that you COULD be breaking the law, you WILL be breaking the law.

Nog, please be so kind as to reread my statement, as it reads I "Could"
break this law and as of yet I have not broken the law.  Thus the term
"could" is used.

>You will do the ferret no favor by taking possession of it in any case in
>California, you will be subject to heavy fines, court costs, lawyer fees,
>and other fun challenged obsticles.

I am quite aware of this.  I am also the son of two lawyers so legal costs
do not frighten me nor my parents.  I guess I'm quite lucky there.  I've
also been taught by said parents that if a law is unjust it should be
challenged.  I always like to quote Fredrick Gouglas, "Agitate, Agitate,
Agitate!"  Then again I still have yet to break any laws, and even if I do
go ahead and break said laws I still have to be caught.  Thus I am in the
process of doing my homework so that I can reduce the likelihood of being
caught to the absolute minumum.

>You obviously do not know much about the ferret breed, and will be
>challenged to a learning experience, to the ferret's disfavor.  Do us a
>good deed, and an even better one to the proposed animal, DON'T!  Just
>don't.

Quite true, I'm still learning about ferrets before I would actully go and
buy one.  Thus I'm here asking questions.  Still I wonder why your being so
nasty to some one you actully don't know anything about.  How sad.

>I have two here, and cringe at all the horror stories posted here,
>California has been source of many such tales of woe.  You do well to
>come to this post area and read ... read... read.

(See above)

>Is a great education as to the behaviour of the animal, the problems they
>have medically, and costs involved to own one.  Please continue to frequent
>these postings, and thank you for posting yourself.  But, in all fairness
>to you and your proposed pet, don't.  I share you love for animals, but do
>not share the problems California poses to you and your pet.  If you really
>want a ferret, do move to a state where the law making brains of the area
>exceed the shoe size in IQ (again, California falls short here in the IQ
>department, as does New York CIty).

Gordon, Many thanks for you opinion.  Unfortunilty I can't leave Sunny
California as I do very very specialized work in the Entertainment industry
(I restore old motion picture films).  I have already found a vet who can
take care my pet needs (he put me on to this list for instance).

Take care,

Jeff

[P.S.]
Also, many thanks to all of those who privately emailed (you know who you
are) me about my concerns of the pro's and con's of owning a ferret.  I
greatly appreciate it.

Jeff Allen