From:
Debbie Utter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Aug 1998 07:52:59 -0400
The other night/early morning the ferrets found a large 1 lb. bag (half
full) of Skittles and proceeded to feast on them.  My daughter found many
individual pieces in the carpet, each chewed so the candy coating was
missing, she found where one of them had upchucked some of them, then she
heard one of the ferrets eating under the chair...where she found the bag
and many more pieces safely hid with them.  I have no idea how much either
of them actually ate, and I know that the sugar is not good for them.  If
they ate the chewy inside part, will that dissolve and pass through their
system, or cause a blockage?

We live in a mobile home and my washer and dryer is located in the hallway
so there's no way I can put them in a separate room or block them off.
However, I am wondering how I can keep the ferrets from crawling inside the
bottom of them.  I also worry that they may pull the dryer's exhaust hose
off and get under the trailer.  Any ideas on how to protect the ferrets?
Because it's in an open area, I need ideas that won't create an "unsightly"
scene...

I have had my two ferrets for 8 mos (the 10 mo. old) and ~ 6 weeks (the 2
yr old), and so far they've been healthy.  However, it sounds like the 2 yo
may be congested.  He was in his pen last night near an open window and it
got a little chilly during the night.  He wasn't sleeping on the floor in
the blanket, but on the hammock--no covers.  Also, he had knocked the water
bottle out of the holder and onto the floor outside; who knows how long he
was without water.  I noticed this morning that he sounds congested.  I'll
have to read the archives and medical FAQs to see what I can do to help
him...sure hope he doesn't get sick!

Thanks to everyone who offers suggestions on these.