Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 01:58:53 -0500
Hi Everyone,

OK, first thanks to BIG guy for pointing out the Deliver option for the
Ensure.  I have used it also.  You usually have to order it and around here
can take a couple of weeks to get.  I am not that organized.  It is also
more expensive than the Ensure.  But I think it is wonderful, and much
better than the Ensure.

I don't feed my duck soup recipe everyday to the ferts, most only get it
once a week as a treat.  Sick ones do get it as long as they need it.  I
can see Stella needed a liquid diet supplement daily from now on.  And I
would like to use it for several of the others that are showing signs of
age.  Thus working on the gravy equation.

One good thing is I did buy some ground turkey today with coupons off.  I
also asked for fat trimmings, pet food variety, and got a rather large
package (I am guessitimating over a pound of the stuff) for free from the
grocer's.  I plan on using the basic, somewhat, recipe that Bob worked
out and using the above with ensure to make it.  I am sincerely hoping
that I can then get them used to it and transfer them over to something
that resembles more of his original recipe.  And thanks for all the great
suggestions on how to make this (*&^ smelly goo less smelly and also easier
to make for those of us who don't have really great hand strength.

As for not pouring oil on kibble in case it goes rancid.  Folks, there is
fat in kibble also.  I refill my kibble bowls every day or two (even my "J"
feeder in the ferret room does not get filled completely for this reason).
They can get contaminated, and the food can go bad.  Storing food in a
close bag or bin is much better, keeps some of the air away.  Sitting out
lets it oxidize just like the oil does.  While I don't believe it will go
bad as fast as the oil, please keep this in mind.

I would honestly suggest that you don't use a bowl or feeder that will last
a week or two at a time.  Seriously.

Air Cleaners-ok, first I agree with what Sukie and others said about the
ozone generation.  I don't run my filters all the time because of this.
Joanne mentioned the oreck filters with a permanent reusable filter.  I
went and checked them out on the web, looks a little more impressive than
what I got but I do have a couple of comments.

First, my old air cleaners have ion generators on them.  They always stank
up the house pretty quickly for me and yes, did create black stuff around
them.  The ozone bothers my sinuses, seriously, I think due to the fact
that I have barometric sinusitis.  I have my own barometer in my body. ;-)

However, the units from Sharper Image don't bother me like that and they
don't smell like something burning (which the others do to me).  They also
have a collection filter that you can wash off.  They create an air stream
through them that makes the matter collect on the rods, which are charged
electrostaticly as near as I can tell.

I honestly don't know if they are different from the generator's on regular
type machines or something different.  I just know they don't seem to
bother me in the same manner.

The Orecks also have an ion generator on them.  They look pretty much the
same outside of a couple of end stage filters on them, one charcoal and
one something else I think.  Not sure.

Maggie Mae and her Musty Mucky Mobsters

"See that girl, barefootin' along,
Whistlin' and singin', she's a carryin' on.
There's laughing in her eyes, dancing in her feet,
She's a neon-light diamond and she can live on the street."

The Golden Road, Grateful Dead